Saturday, April 5, 2014

TORRES VOWS TO PROVE HIMSELF AT CHELSEA

Chelsea Striker Fernando Torres believes he can convince Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho that he is the "best option" of all of the Blues' current strikers.

The Portuguese has repeatedly criticised his strike-force, also consisting of Demba Ba and Samuel Eto'o, this season and is believed to be planning a major summer overhaul of his forwards.
Atletico Madrid star Diego Costa is Mourinho's prime target, but Torres insists he can force the manager to tear up his summer transfer plans by proving himself at Stamford Bridge – despite scoring just four Premier League goals this season.

“He [Mourinho] has to choose the one [striker] he thinks is better and try to manage the situation with the players,” Torres told the Independent. “He didn’t do anything special with me. He just treats me like one more. He puts me on the pitch when he thinks I am the best option and on the bench when he thinks I am not the best option.

“My aim is to try to make him feel I am always the best option for him. You have to have ways to adapt to this situation. Blame the manager? Blame your team-mates? Blame everyone? Or ask from yourself a bit more. I think I can do better. I can make Jose think I am the best option. That is what I have to do every day in training, all the matches. I just ask of myself the responsibility.

“The things you cannot change you can’t waste your time on. I cannot [automatically] change the way the manager thinks so I have to ask myself and be critical with myself to try to understand what he wants. I have to put more and more effort into these things. It is what I have been doing all my life … I cannot change the others so I have to be critical of myself.

“You have to prove yourself every day. You have to live for today. Three years ago? Five years ago? It’s today. If the manager thinks there is another player better than you he is going to play and this is the way. You have to try to improve and keep fighting and try to change the manager’s mind. Hopefully one day Jose can say ‘This [Torres] is my striker, he is going to be my striker’ like he does with some of the players who have won the appreciation from him.”

Torres is the most expensive player in British football history, with Chelsea paying Liverpool £50 million to acquire his services in 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment