Tuesday, May 13, 2014

DEFOE SAD OVER EXCLUSION FROM ENGLAND'S WORLD CUP SQUAD

Striker Jermain Defoe says he is "devastated" not to be part of England's World Cup squad.
The 31-year-old, who moved from Tottenham to MLS side Toronto FC in February, has played 55 times for his country and scored 19 goals.
"It's hard to find words to describe the feeling," he told BBC Radio 5 live.
"In life you can't expect anything, but I felt I had a good chance of going because I've been involved in most of the squads. I feel devastated."
Asked whether the decision to leave the Premier League for North America had affected his chances, Defoe said: "No.
"All I've done is got my head down and play football. I've continued to do what I've always done - scored goals and worked hard."
The former West Ham forward, who is one of England coach Roy Hodgson's stand-by players, scored two goals on his debut for Toronto in the 2-1 win over Seattle Sounders on 15 March.
He scored three goals in his opening three games, before suffering a hamstring injury which kept him out for five weeks.
Defoe failed to win a regular starting place for Spurs during the first half of the season under former manager Andre Villas-Boas. He then announced in January that he would be leaving.
The striker was given his first full cap by Sven Goran-Eriksson when he came on as a substitute during a friendly against Sweden in 2004.
However, he was omitted from the squads for Euro 2004 and the 2006 World Cup, although coach Fabio Capello included him the party for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment