Thursday, August 28, 2014

SOUTH KOREA'S KI SUNG-YEUNG SIGN NEW CONTRACT WITH SWANSEA CITY

Swansea City's South Korean midfielder Ki Sung-yueng has signed a new four-year contract that will keep him at the Liberty Stadium until 2018.
Ki Sung-yueng

Swansea City: Ki Sung-yueng signs new deal

The former Celtic player had one year left on his previous deal and spent the 2013-14 season on loan at Sunderland.
But Ki, 25, has been back in favour since Garry Monk took over as Swans boss and scored in the opening-day win over Manchester United.
"My first option was always to renew with Swansea," Ki said.
"I am very pleased with all of the players and staff at the club, so I am very happy to sign a new contract."
He told the club's website: "This team has a great potential, and I am sure that we will be amazing as time goes by."
Ki joined Swansea in the summer of 2012 from Celtic in a £6m deal that broke the club's transfer record.
Devastated Ki Sung-yueng lies on the ground
Ki Sung-yueng played all of South Korea's three group games at the World Cup
He made 38 appearances in his first season and was in the team that won the Capital One Cup, beating Bradford City in the final.
It seemed his future at the Welsh club was in doubt when manager Michael Laudrup loaned him to Sunderland in August 2013.
Ki made 27 league appearances for the Black Cats as they finished 14th in the Premier League, two places below Swansea.
He also played in the League Cup final for a second season in a row, but was this time on the losing side, as Gus Poyet's side lost 3-1 against Manchester City.
"Hopefully we can win more trophies," said Ki.
"It was amazing to be at Wembley for two years in a row, and it would be massive if I could return again this year.
"In my first season, we finished ninth. But this year, I think we can go further. I want to make sure we improve."
Ki believes the appointment of Monk will help him achieve his goals.
"We work very hard in training. I know the manager very well and he knows me. He knows my strength and weaknesses, and I can learn from him," said Ki.



BBC Sport

No comments:

Post a Comment