Saturday, August 23, 2014

MACKAY: I'M NOT A RACIST NOR SEXIST

Malky Mackay insists he is no "racist, sexist, homophobe or anti-Semite" after the former Cardiff boss was discovered to have sent offensive text messages.
Malky Mackay
Mackay: I'm not a racist nor sexist

Mackay apologised in person following Thursday's League Managers' Association statement expressing his regret.
"They are completely unacceptable, inappropriate, and for that I sincerely apologise," said the 42-year-old.
The initial apology said the three texts Mackay admitted sending were "friendly banter" at a time of stress.
"Obviously the texts, I absolutely have to explain. Out of 10,000 text messages in and out of someone's phone, I sent three," said Mackay.
"There is no excuse. It was a period where I was under pressure and stress in terms of relationships which were not going well at my football club at the time. Once again, that doesn't actually excuse anything.
"I'm a leader of people and it shouldn't have happened, But I'm a human being and I made a mistake."
Mackay shared the texts with former Cardiff colleague Iain Moody, which are included in a dossier submitted by Cardiff to the Football Association who are investigating alleged misconduct.
The LMA statement, which also said the messages were "disrespectful of other cultures", provoked criticism from anti-discrimination campaigners, with Cardiff City calling for LMA chief Richard Bevan to resign.
"I've not used the word 'banter'," added Mackay. "But the overall statement was very accurate. That word is wrong and the LMA soon realised that and they've tried to correct that."
"There's various parts of the statement which showed there was contrition on my part. I think every manager in the country backs the LMA and Richard Bevan. I don't think he should resign."
Both Mackay and Moody, who has since left his position of sporting director at Crystal Palace, were sacked by Cardiff last year.
Moody lost his job as head of player recruitment in October 2013 following a dispute with owner Vincent Tan over transfer activity.
That is said to have strained the relationship between the Bluebirds owner and Mackay, who was sacked following a 3-0 defeat against Southampton in December 2013.



BBC Sport

No comments:

Post a Comment