Wednesday, September 10, 2014

EURO 2016 QUALIFIER: GUUS HIDDINK DISAPPOINTED AT NETHERLANDS DISPLAY

The Netherlands coach Guus Hiddink has said that he was so enraged by his team's last-minute loss to the Czech Republic that he had to take time to calm down ahead of a television interview.
Hiddink fumes at Dutch display

Hiddink fumes at Dutch display


The newly appointed Hiddink's emotional outburst followed Holland's stoppage-time 2-1 defeat in their opening UEFA EURO 2016 qualifying Group A fixture. "I was raging with anger. I needed to calm down," Hiddink said after arriving more than half-an-hour late for an interview with Dutch public broadcasterNOS.
"You can't lose like this in the last second. That's why I've stayed away a bit longer," a clearly annoyed Hiddink said. "Surely you can go home with a 1-1 score? That's fine. But we stupidly gave it away. I'm seething with anger again," he said.
In a heated exchange with NOS presenter Jack van Gelder why the Oranje started with a 5-3-2 system and not a more attacking 4-3-3 formation, Hiddink angrily retorted: "You yourself this week told me: 'Perhaps we should fall back'."
The winning goal came when Daryl Janmaat fumbled a header back towards Dutch goalkeeper Jasper Cillessen in the dying moments of the game. The ball hit the post, rebounded past a diving Cillessen, and Viktoria Pilsen winger Vaclav Pilar had an easy job sending it into the gaping net.
"I wanted to head the ball back to (goalkeeper) Jasper (Cillessen), but I got it wrong," Janmaat toldwww.telegraaf.nl. "I feel very silly, but it was my fault."



AFP

No comments:

Post a Comment