Wednesday, September 17, 2014

UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE: DROGBA AND CECH COULD FEATURE IN CHELSEA'S CLASH AGAINST SCHALKE

Didier Drogba could feature for Chelsea in Wednesday's Champions League Group G opener against Schalke at Stamford Bridge after recovering from injury.
Didier Drogba
Didier Drogba could feature in Chelsea's UCL clash against Schalke at Stamford Bridge

The striker missed Saturday's Premier League win against Swansea with an ankle problem but trained on Tuesday.
Drogba, 36, who rejoined the club in the summer, scored the decisive penalty in Chelsea's Champions League final win over Bayern Munich in 2012.
Meanwhile, Petr Cech will be hoping for a start in goal.
The Czech Republic international has yet to make an appearance for the Blues this season, with Jose Mourinho opting to play Belgian Thibaut Courtois in goal.
"Don't be surprised if Cech plays a Champions League game or a Premier League game, or if Courtois plays a Capital One Cup game," Mourinho said.
"What I don't do is 'this competition is for me and this competition is for you'. I must make choices. Petr is more than ready to play every game."
Chelsea played Schalke in the group stages of last season's Champions League, with the Blues winning 3-0 both home and away.
Mourinho is aiming to become the first manager to win the competition with three difference clubs, having triumphed with Porto in 2004 and then with Inter Milan in 2010.
"What drives me is to try to win," he said. "I work for my club, for my players and for the club supporters. I don't work for myself.
"If I win it once more, to win with three clubs is unique. But even if I don't do it, how many top managers in the world have only one or even not a single one? The greatest in our country [Sir Alex Ferguson], he won it twice.
"If at the end of my career I've achieved that situation, then good, but it's far from being an obsession and it's not something that I think about a lot.
"We have a championship of six matches and three opponents in Group G and we have to do everything to qualify."
Didier Drogba
Didier Drogba's last appearance for Chelsea in Europe was in the 2012 Champions League final





BBC Sport

No comments:

Post a Comment